Saturday, June 30, 2012

Distance Education

This past week, I was on vacation. I got to see some of the true flexibility of online education. One point that was at the forefront of my mind all week was access. How do we make access available to all?
Grants?
Community Internet hubs?

I know that many students have trouble finding access to Internet, and that could be a huge problem in our future world of education. I think that as times change, people unfamiliar with technology may be forced into it. I know that my grandmother never knew what a podcast was until this course. After listening to mine, she thought she might like to subscribe to some podcasts, if she had the tech to do it. She even remarked that she liked that "it was kind of like free radio without commercials". Maybe convincing people about new tech is just a matter of allowing them to try it for themselves.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like Grandma would enjoy getting an iPod for Christmas :) Yes access for all is a good goal. Grants, community centers, gifts, sharing, all sorts of ways to make it happen. I don't go on vacations, drive much, buy fast food, or shop much, but I do have a computer and the Internet. When my computer breaks, I go to my local library to continue my informal learning and share my adult childrens' computers for my schoolwork. Once you experience the benefits, you do find a way.

    ReplyDelete